Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Happiness Project and Why You Should Read It


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin is the book I'm currently reading. I got it as a gift from a friend whom I had a deep hear-to-heart talk with. A few weeks after our talk, she gave me the book with a short dedication written on one of the first pages. It was so sweet and I couldn't be more thankful.

In the course of the book, Rubin was researching and testing the different theories of political dignitaries, philosophers, scientists, writers, and religious figures about how to achieve happiness. It was like a journey on the road to happiness which made reading it amusing and fun. The book also discusses different aspects of life and how we could improve each through resolutions relevant to it. These life aspects are: Vitality, Marriage, Work, Parenthood, Leisure, Friendship, Money, Eternity, Passion, Mindfulness, Attitude, and Happiness. These 12 aspects are discussed per month.  Even though you find some aspects not applicable to you (Parenthood and Marriage in my case), it's still good to read the chapters dedicated to them because there's so much to learn. Overall, the book is filled with theories, ways, and tips on how to be happy.

The Happiness Project is a self-help book, and this is my first time reading one. However, it doesn't have the imperative or know-it-all tone at all. It's just like reading the diary of Gretchen Rubin. It's really authentic and full of her own experiences, insights, and emotions. I can read it for hours without stopping because it's just like listening to a friend telling her stories. Reading this book made me add Gretchen Rubin in my Favorite Authors list, actually. Also, I seriously learned a lot about life and how we could enhance each aspect of it by coming up with our own resolutions. This book really emphasized the importance of goal-setting and monitoring our own behavior, which I liked very much because even before I read this book, I'm already the type of person who loves setting goals and keeping track of my progress. 

This book is for those who want to be as happy as they can be. So if you're on your journey towards achieving HAPPINESS or want to start one, or you think you're already pretty happy but still want to make the most out of life, then this book is surely for you. Go to your nearest bookstore or just click away on Amazon!




No comments:

Post a Comment