Saturday, November 29, 2014

3 Virtues You Need To Get Through A Slump

I was reading an article about traveling when this suddenly hit me: I want to move to another country where no one knows me, meet new people, and begin a new life. Unfortunately, that's not exactly possible right now due to personal reasons. Then I asked myself, "Why do I want this? Why do I want to start a new life in a place with unfamiliar faces?'. There was only one answer: I'm starting to get tired of my current situation. 

I won't say that I'm becoming totally hopeless because I think I'm still pretty optimistic and hopeful right now ;) However, I'm beginning to question myself, everything that has been happening to me, and why in the world they're happening to me. But thanks to the power of all the inspirational and self-help articles and books I've been reading since the past year, I've successfully pushed myself to become more resilient and positive. Yes I won't deny that I'm starting to feel down again, but compared to how I was before, I guess I'm able to pick myself up and move on more quickly now.

In addition to Resilience, this slump I'm experiencing reminded me to practice another virtue: Gratitude. Why do I want a new life in a new place with new people when I already got a life here and now? With people who both challenge me and help me? I just really have to be grateful with everything and everyone I have right now and make the most out of them! I know this is not easy to do, that's why we have to cultivate Gratitude daily in our own little ways. Making a collage or a list of the things you're grateful for are some ways to do this!

Also, I cannot let myself forget that there's a good reason for all this. As the famous saying goes, "Everything happens for a reason". Instead of questioning and doubting myself and everything else, I simply have to work hard despite the odds.

To sum everything up, my advice is to practice:

1. Resilience - be strong, push yourself
2. Gratitude - be grateful with who and what you have and make the most out of them
3. Optimism - always remember that there's a good reason for everything

I hope these virtues would help you when you feel like giving up or escaping from a problem :) 

How about you? Do you have any advice that you want to share? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment